Friday, May 21, 2010

TV shows, and what do you REALLY know about art?

Hey y'all,

I've just been grinding away like a mad bunny.

Other than that, just slammed finishing up a commission, painting hard to get my submission into New American Paintings since I haven't applied for a few years, working out getting my bunny buns ready for the beach. Hoping to treat myself to get my tattoos finished when I reach my goal weight. Yay, motivational rewards!

It's not even about losing weight or how I look, but more so, being healthy. Just on this quest to be physically, mentally, spiritually healthy.

I applied to be a guest on the Tyra show, to share my story in hopes of getting just one person to value their DIGNITY above all else. So we'll see. Let's just say the more adversity I face, the harder I grind, the bigger I think!

Next time you get really down about something, instead of fantasizing wildly about all the bad stuff that can happen and freaking yourself out, choose to fantasize wildly about all the good stuff that can happen instead. I mean, we all have problems. I know when the little insecure voices show up in our heads, they can really get loud.

So whenever I face some crazy adversity, I just start dreaming wildly about all the possible great things that can happen instead. Sure, I could get evicted if I don't come up with rent, but I'd rather focus on the possibility of getting my own TV show on Oprah's OWN Network instead! And that got me grinding like a mad bunny, hopping hopping hopping.

Basically my proposal would be what I'm trying to do with this blog. To let America and the world know what an artist's life is really like. The trials, adversity, and adventures we face day to day and the triumph of how great it feels with each progressive step.

I mean, think about it. If you ask any highschool or college student who their favorite contemporary visual artist is, would they even be able to name someone? Do people even think about who their favorite artists are? I saw someone tweet today on Twitter that a news anchor mispronounced Banksy's name as Bankski. That's sad. That really is sad that news sources are even so in the dark about contemporary art.

I am passionate about bringing art into America's mainstream. I feel that America is really in the dark as a whole of not only supporting visual art, but even acknowledging it in this country. It's not anyone's fault, it's just what it is. There are no television programs dedicated to contemporary art at all, besides the upcoming "Work of Art" show premiering on Bravo on Wed, June 9th. Super excited about it. Sarah Jessica Parker, Jerry Saltz (art critic, New York Magazine), Jeanne Greenberg Rohatyn (owner of Salon94 gallery), Simon de Pury (art auctioneer) will be the judges, and China Chow (actress & art enthusiast) will be hosting.

And, I happen to know one of the contestants, Trong Nguyen! Emailed him to congratulate him when someone sent me a link to the show and his happy face was on Bravo's website. Go Trong, go Trong! lol Also excited that Jerry Saltz is one of the judges. I had the pleasure of meeting Jerry about four or five years ago when he came to speak at UCLA and he was so nice. He gave me his card and I emailed him, surprised that he actually wrote back with some really constructive criticism. And he was so friendly when I sprung a big bunny hug on him the last time I saw him in NY years ago. So I'm super excited about this show, and the hardworking contestants, so happy that Sarah Jessica Parker took some damn initiative in seeing what America is missing!

I would want my show to not be a competition, but an explorative portal into artworld. We're gonna start doing it guerrilla style here on my blog through YouTube. I just want y'all to be a part of this exciting thing called the art world that seems so mysterious, even to those of us that are in it. It seems intimidating. Folks think you have to have a lot of money to buy art. WRONG. You can acquire original pieces at student shows, charity art auctions, etc.

One auction I am a big advocate of is the one for ART PAPERS Magazine. As stated on their website, "ART PAPERS is a non-profit organization dedicated to the examination, development, and definition of art and culture in the world today. Its mission is to provide an independent and accessible forum for the exchange of perspectives on the role of contemporary art as a socially relevant and engaged discourse. This mission is implemented through the publication of ART PAPERS Magazine and the presentation of public programs."

The point is, you don't have to have a lot of money to buy original art. I remember when I started donating eight years ago, a watercolor retailing for $150 sold for $50. Now, that watercolor is worth approximately $650. I haven't donated in the last few years, but will donate at the next one. The point is, you can totally buy original art for the same cost you would spend on a pair of shoes. So no excuses! Plus, the art will last a lifetime for you and your family legacy. Those shoes won't. Would what you rather have for $50?

Don't get me wrong. I am not an advocate for buying art simply because of the name or because you think it will appreciate in value down the line. I am an advocate for buying art because you truly love it. Because every time you see it, it makes you happy. It inspires you. Or for my collector that had cancer, it comforts you and brings you strength and hope. Whatever your reason, buy it as a cultural investment for yourself, as a "feel-good" investment, as I call it. Don't ever ever buy art expecting it to appreciate in value. Sure, if an artist's career blows up, then that's just icing on the cake. Even then, would you be willing to part with it? It is, after all, an original. Meaning, there is none other like it in the world (just like the brilliance of your life).

Music, fashion, and cooking have been at the forefront of America's creative expression. However, turn on the TV and any art show you do see only features dead people. Do you really wanna keep seeing dead people? Wouldn't you rather see art that is available to you in your local community? Folks, there are talented artists all around you. Most of all, you don't have to buy expensive art to make great art valid. •Ah ha moment

Slowly easing into it, starting the next few weeks.  I'm really excited about it. So do check back.

Again, I want y'all to come with me as we do this art thing together. I want to share with you the difference between low brow and high brow art. To have interviews with artists, collectors, curators, critics, gallerists, and others I've been fortunate enough to know and have worked with so you can see what the art world is really made up of, and how it runs. What is outsider art? Also, how can you incorporate art into you and your family's lives (on a budget)? Hell, I might even consider giving a little painting lesson here and there for you and your kids.

You know how some of y'all go into a gallery and you see this piece of art that you just don't understand? And you think, "I can do that, why is it $100k?" That's exactly what I'm talking about Willis. We're gonna share with you the reasoning behind the value of an artist's work, concept and theory, and exactly why that piece of art is $100k. Aren't you curious?

Be EXCITED, I am! I really hope I can impact an awareness of contemporary art in America today, and eventually create an awareness of international art for Americans. One thing I'm very passionate about is the rise of my fellow Chinese sisters in China, doing their art thing. While I am excited that Chinese artists have really put themselves on the map in the last 20 years, I'm more excited to shed light on the female Chinese artists that are busting it hard now. So that's just one of the things I hope to explore.

Yee! Well that's it for now folks, gotta go skipping (it's my new exercise). I think skipping makes you happier, it's not as hard on your knees and boobs as jogging, it's not as boring, and it rubs off on other people too when they drive by, smiling and honking. And the cardiovascular workout is just as intense, depending on how high you skip.

Have a great weekend lovelies!

No comments: